Thursday, March 27, 2014

Starting seeds indoors

Gardening has begun! I started my first seeds indoors for this year's garden. I started them March 9th (yes, this post is late).

I cleared a space on an unused surface, filled my seed trays with a starting mix and poured boiling water over the trays to wet the soil thoroughly. I then let it sit to cool down and drain off any excess water.






I specifically wanted to try growing onions from seed this year. I've read that growing onions from seeds instead of sets will produce bigger bulbs. It's an experiment so I'll let you know how it turns out. I chose Yellow of Parma onions from Seed Savers Exchange.




I find seeds fascinating! They all look so different. Who would've known that onion seeds look like little pieces of coal?





I also planted two different varieties of lettuce: Little Gem and Lollo De Vino. I'll plant some more a few weeks out to stagger a harvest. I'm not sure I can eat 20 heads of lettuce in a week.

I planted a couple other things but I'll save that for the next post.

After carefully adding a few seeds to each space, I covered them with a light layer of the starter mix and wet them down with a spray bottle of water.  I placed the clear dome cover over each tray and placed the one with onions on a heating mat since onions love heat.





The seeds should sprout soon. The humid, warm climate in a covered seed tray is very conducive to germination. I'll let you know how they do.

Have any of you ever started seeds in doors? What has been your experience?

1 comment:

  1. Love the seed starting! Can't wait to start cooking with what you're growing :D

    ReplyDelete