Thursday, January 21, 2010

Beginning training

Monday was my mile benchmark. Basically I was to walk/run a mile and time it so Coach would have an idea of where I am starting. Chris came to be my timer. We went out to Jenkins Middle School. They have a 1/4 track available to the public.


I did the prescribed warm up (about 15 minutes walking slowly) the dynamic warm ups (involved some high knees and butt-kickers) and some accelerations. Then I began my mile. I haven't been active (other than work) since June so I knew I would need to walk most of it. I walked the first lap (1/4 mile) in 4:55. I picked up the pace the second lap and finished in 4:33. The third lap I jogged a portion of one of the straightways and finished in 4:03. And the last lap I jogged most of both straightways and a bit at the end...finishing the last lap in 3:36. My total mile time was 17:08. The good part is that I kept increasing my speed and beat each lap by almost 30 seconds.


I could hear my cheerleader (Chris) cheering towards the end of every lap. It was good to have her out there.

My right hamstring felt a bit sore afterwards. So I iced up that night, in fact I strapped an ice pack to the back of both legs and slept that way. It felt so much better in the morning.

Tuesday's prescribed workout was a short 20 minute walk. I was grateful as I was still feeling soreness in my right hamstring. However, by the time I took my walk I wasn't feeling it anymore.

Tuesday was also my first night at the Recreation Center at UCCS (the University I'm attending). I must admit, I was self-conscious. It was full of 18 to early 20 year-olds, all buff and in good shape. I got more than one second-glance. Nonetheless, this is my gym now and I'm going to make it home and get to know these people and hopefully impart something into their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment