Tuesday, January 26, 2010

BIG WORDS!

I am reading a book for my class "The Great Books of Economics". It's called "The Worldly Philosophers - The Lives, Times, and Ideas of the Great Economic Thinkers". It was first published in 1953. This book is full of big words -- words that I have had to look up. I can normally guess the meaning of the word based on the way it is used in the sentence. However some of these left me clueless. I've listed some and their definitions.

Frontispiece: an illustrated leaf preceding the title page of a book.
Dicta: an authorative pronouncement
Disquisition: a formal discourse or treatise in which a subject is examined and discussed; dissertation
Jurisprudence: the science or philosophy of law, a body or system of laws
Rapacity: inordinately greedy, predatory; extortionate
Vermicular: of, pertaining to, or done by worms
Abeyance: temporary inactivity, cessation or suspension
Sinecure: an office or position requiring little or no work, esp. one yielding profitable returns.

I might add, I am only in chapter 3!

No comments:

Post a Comment