Friday, January 15, 2010

It is begun!

I made my way to the Colorado Running Company at N. Tejon and Cache Le Poudre to buy some running shoes today. I met my coach, Nicole, there to buy some shoes. Chris joined me too in support of the big adventure I'm setting out on this year. My goal is to run the Disney World Half-Marathon next January.
To explain where I developed this interest we have to go back in time...just a bit. Towards the end of my training for Black Belt, to prepare for the fitness test, I began spending quite a bit of time on the treadmill; running a mile was part of the fitness test. To my surprise, I found I really enjoyed it. But it did not become a regular thing. I took on a part-time job in addition to my full-time job -- my goal being to pay off my debt and build some savings.

During this period of long days and little excercise I had a conversation with Jenny, a co-worker at Coleson Foods. In college, she trained and ran in the Los Angeles marathon. It was such a moving experience for her that it stuck with me after she told her story.
I began to think about the experience and wonder if I could ever do something like it. In August, during the opening ceremonies of the 2008 Olympics I was speaking with a friend, Nicole. She had trained at the same TaeKwondo school (dojang) as I. She had been competing in triathalons and was now coaching a team.

I tossed the idea of running a half-marathon out to her and to my surprise, she was completely supportive. I must admit, I thought anyone in their right mind would say "You? Are you kidding?" or the more kind version "What about walking a half-marathon?" In fact, she thought it would take little time for me to reach the level of a half-marathon.

That so intrigued me that I really gave it some thought. In a short time I had determined to do it. However, I knew, with my two-job schedule, that it would have to be postponed.

Well, NOT ANYMORE! I'm ready, willing and now shoe-ed!
I had fun today, having my foot-print and my jogging gate analyzed, being fitted in shoes and taking a couple jogs out the door, around the corner and back again (with Chris at my side in her flip flops).

I have a meeting on Sunday with Coach Nicole to arrange all the things that need arranging and then I will do a test mile on Monday, with Chris as my timer. Then I'm off and nothing can stop me!

So welcome to my blog. It'll primarily be a way to update my family and friends about my training but don't be suprised if the other aspects of my life float around in here too. This is going to be a great year and a great adventure. Come along with me, won't you?!





















A digital representation of my feet. Notice my right arch is higher than my left. (Notice Chris in the reflection doing her duty as my personal photographer.)




My new shoes! They are red, black and silver. (Ooh...SHINY!)








2 comments:

  1. AWESOME!!!! Horahhh for you, Tarah.

    I am going to join you with the up-start of jogging. (Give me the details about the January deadline (dates and stuff) for half marathon - that is a bigger thing to think about.) Wade has completed a 5k but not moi.

    I have been more physically "enabled" since accupuncture sessions, and longing to get physical with LIFE again. I have looked longingly at tennis and volleyball courts.
    This *week* we have walked the dogs daily and I have taken the stairs (office on 4th floor) and already feel the *burn* in quads & shins... pitiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand that burn you feel. I took off the last 6-7 months from TKD. Finally getting the hours I had hoped for at Starbucks took away the time to do TKD. I've been feeling all the creaks and groans in my body lately.

    The race is Saturday, January 8th. I believe it starts in either the Magic Kingdom or Epcot. I'll have more details closer to the race. I have already registered. I decided, if I spend a year training to run the race, I better make sure I can run in it. I've heard it fills up fast.

    I'm so glad you've been able to be more physical lately. How about swimming? How would that work out?

    ReplyDelete